I managed to squeak this one in on Sunday, but just managed to get it photographed this afternoon – school certainly gets in the way of daylight photography! I had been thinking about making a vaguely Tea-inspired crossover dress for quite a while now, and decided the last day of KCW was the perfect time to give it a go:)
I used the Flashback Tee pattern as a starting point, tracing two front pieces and angling them down to the side. I cut the body pieces short (about 3″ below the armpit), and then added the band around the middle. I brought in the sides a bit to make it fit more closely around the bodice. The fabric is a Lillestoff knit that has been languishing on my fabric shelf for over a year now.
The skirt isn’t quite as a-line as I had envisioned, since I was running out of fabric. But, it seems to be wide (and stretchy) enough that E is able to move around in it comfortably.
I decided to give the coverstitch option on my serger a try for hemming the dress. It only took about five minutes to do the conversion, and it actually went very smoothly. I’m happy to finally have a good solution for hemming knits!
And now I’m off to find the floor in my sewing area, throw in some laundry, and peruse the Kids’ Clothes Week project pool!