My daughter’s wardrobe is rather lacking in pants at the moment, so I decided to give the Hosh Pants pattern a try. I’m not totally sold on the skinny jeans trend, but I do think that 3 year-olds can get away with them;-) The pants came together quickly, with easy to follow instructions. I tracked down buttonhole elastic so that I could give the adjustable waistband a try. Sadly, I didn’t like the way it came out (the elastic was really tugging on the buttons and pulling the front of the waistband a lot), so I ended up just sewing in regular elastic around the back. The waistband just behaved better that way. It could have been due to the fact that the stretch denim that I used is a wee bit too heavy for this pattern.
To be honest, I wasn’t too thrilled with the finished pants at first. They looked really plain, and the fit was a bit odd (again, probably because the fabric is too stiff). I decided to add some fuzzy pockets to see if that would help. Fuzzy pockets increased the awesomeness of these pants 100%. E. wore them all day yesterday, and I have to say that they improved as she wore them. The fabric conformed to her, and the gathers at the back of the waistband calmed down. She didn’t complain about them at all, and they looked so cute with her new fox shirt. So, in the end these were a success, and I’ll definitely try the pattern again with some lighter fabric.
Photos are still a problem – we’re on day 6 of low fog! It’s like the weather planned this perfectly to correspond with KCW! I couldn’t get E. to pose against a decent background, so I just followed her around while she raked leaves in the driveway.
I was so excited to get my Fanfare fabric in the mail a few days ago. It is so beautiful and soft – this is so amazing compared to the thin flannel that I usually find at our local fabric store. And it is just so incredibly cute that I didn’t want it to be reserved for pajamas (although I did get some for that purpose too). So, I decided to try an Oliver and S Class Picnic Blouse in flannel so that my little girlie can enjoy wearing super soft foxes during the day as well.
For the most part it came out really well, although the fabric is a little bit too thick. I think I should have done the elastic casing around the neck in a lighter fabric to avoid having it be too bulky. I added a little bit of length and some elastic to the sleeves, as well as an inch to the length of the body. It seems warm and snuggly, and she enjoyed wearing it outside to rake some leaves today.
I’ve been enjoying the KCW challenge, and sewing 1-2 hours a day. My main challenge this week has been that the mountain valley I live in has been cloaked in fog and low cloud for the last 5 days. Taking pictures has been very difficult. So, I have completed projects, I’m just having a rough time getting pictures of them! Here is a dark-ish shot of E and her fox shirt in action:
I am way too excited about this project because it was my first attempt at sewing with knits. And it turned out really well! I have such a basic sewing machine (a 15 year old Pfaff Select 1530) that I feared it wouldn’t go well. I used a ball-tip jersey needle and the stretch stitch on my machine. Easy, no issues. What was I so nervous about? Perhaps the fabric helped – instead of re-using one of the old t-shirts I have been saving to practice on, I rather impulsively cut into a piece of Lillestoff cotton/spandex interlock. It is beautiful quality, and seems very stable considering the amount of stretch it has. I can see how sewing with a squidgier knit would be challenging.
The Bimaa pattern is very straightforward, with great instructions. It took under an hour to sew it up, and that was at my slow knit-newbie pace. Honestly, the hardest part was making sure that the raindrops came out in the right direction while I cut out pattern pieces at 11pm. I had very little of the raindrop fabric, so there was no room for error. I’m looking forward to making another Bimaa in the hoodie-with-ears style. I have something woodland creature-inspired in mind, with fuzzy brown ears.