Fall KCW – Foxy class picnic blouse

fox_blouse

I was so excited to get my Fanfare fabric in the mail a few days ago.  It is so beautiful and soft – this is so amazing compared to the thin flannel that I usually find at our local fabric store.  And it is just so incredibly cute that I didn’t want it to be reserved for pajamas (although I did get some for that purpose too).  So, I decided to try an Oliver and S Class Picnic Blouse in flannel so that my little girlie can enjoy wearing super soft foxes during the day as well.

For the most part it came out really well, although the fabric is a little bit too thick.  I think I should have done the elastic casing around the neck in a lighter fabric to avoid having it be too bulky.  I added a little bit of length and some elastic to the sleeves, as well as an inch to the length of the body.  It seems warm and snuggly, and she enjoyed wearing it outside to rake some leaves today.

I’ve been enjoying the KCW challenge, and sewing 1-2 hours a day.  My main challenge this week has been that the mountain valley I live in has been cloaked in fog and low cloud for the last 5 days.  Taking pictures has been very difficult.  So, I have completed projects, I’m just having a rough time getting pictures of them!  Here is a dark-ish shot of E and her fox shirt in action:

fox_blouse_2

Advertisements

Fall KCW – Bimaa!

bimaa_1

I am way too excited about this project because it was my first attempt at sewing with knits.  And it turned out really well!  I have such a basic sewing machine (a 15 year old Pfaff Select 1530) that I feared it wouldn’t go well.  I used a ball-tip jersey needle and the stretch stitch on my machine.  Easy, no issues.  What was I so nervous about?  Perhaps the fabric helped – instead of re-using one of the old t-shirts I have been saving to practice on, I rather impulsively cut into a piece of Lillestoff cotton/spandex interlock.  It is beautiful quality, and seems very stable considering the amount of stretch it has.  I can see how sewing with a squidgier knit would be challenging.

The Bimaa pattern is very straightforward, with great instructions.  It took under an hour to sew it up, and that was at my slow knit-newbie pace.  Honestly, the hardest part was making sure that the raindrops came out in the right direction while I cut out pattern pieces at 11pm.  I had very little of the raindrop fabric, so there was no room for error.  I’m looking forward to making another Bimaa in the hoodie-with-ears style.  I have something woodland creature-inspired in mind, with fuzzy brown ears.